Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy is also known as Junior Jetsetters. Like any other airline across the USA. Alaska Airlines is also focusing on making its policies less rigid and fit all. However, a thing to notice here is that the age limit for unaccompanied minors is different for every airline.
So, let’s have a look at the different aspects related to Alaska Airlines’ Minor policy. That includes but is not limited to the Age limit, Fees, Guidelines, Terms, and Conditions.
Children from 5 to 17 years (If unaccompanied), can travel on both domestic and international flights with Alaska Airlines. But only as per the Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Age Group And Fees
Tip: The fee for adding a minor to Alaska Airlines can be paid through Alaska’s official website or At Alaska’s kiosk at the airport.
|Age Group (Years)||Unaccompanied Minor Fees|
|5 to 7||$50 each way, per child|
|8 to 12||For non-stop / Direct flights: $50 each way per child|
For connecting flights: $75 per child, each way
|13 to 17||$50 each way, per child for non-stop/direct flights|
$75 each way, per child for connecting flights
Also Read: United Airlines Minor Policy 2022
Alaska Airlines Restrictions For Minors In 2022
For The Age Group 5 – 7 years
- Unaccompanied minor service (Junior Jetsetter) is mandatory for a child between 5 years – 7 years.
- It is mandatory to fill out the guardian/parent contact form.
- A minor can not travel on an overnight or an early morning flight. (flights between 9 pm to 5 am)
- An unaccompanied minor from 5-7years can travel on non-stop/direct flights only.
For The Age Group 8 – 12 years
- All the restrictions up to point 3 for the age group 5 – 7 years mentioned above implies here as well.
- However, a minor from this age group can travel on a connecting flight. But this can happen if no direct flights are available for the day.
- Not only this but the parent/guardian must remember that the layover must not exceed 2 hours. If an unaccompanied minor is traveling on a connecting flight.
Age Group 13 -17 years
- Unaccompanied minor service is optional with Alaska Airlines for this age group.
- However, If the parent or the guardian applies for the Junior Jetsetter service. Then all the restrictions mentioned in the above 2 age groups will imply here as well.
Terms & Conditions Associated With Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Program
- Only 2 Unaccompanied minors can fly on a single ticket.
- No bookings for an unaccompanied minor will be accepted by Alaska Airlines. If there are possibilities of any interruptions that can be caused due to weather or any other reason.
- In case, if the flight for a minor got canceled due to any unforeseen reason. Then the parent/guardian consent is mandated prior to rebooking.
- If the minor feels a bit of illness during the journey, The first call will be made to any of the guardians or parents.
- But if the minor becomes seriously ill. Then the first will be to the medical coordinator. After that, the guardian or the parent will be informed.
- Alaska Airlines will not be able to handle or provide guidance regarding a minor’s personal medication.
- A minor can call his/her guardian, But only after taking approval from an Alaska Airlines representative.
Important Points Associated With Alaska Airlines Junior Jetsetter
- At Alaska Airlines Mexican Airports, No Cash Will Be Accepted For Reservations.
- However, Any credit/debit card with enabled Mexican will be helpful.
Note:- In the case of connecting flights. The other airline’s policies may be different from Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied minor policy. That can cause issues in the journey of a minor. So it is advisable to carefully check and follow the minor policies of the other airlines as well.
Tip: Unaccompanied minors may not travel from (SUN) Sun Valley, Idaho between December 1 to April 1 Every Year.
Some Facilities An Unaccompanied Minor Will Get From Alaska Airlines
- A wristwatch along with a lanyard will be there for a minor. So that Alaska Airline’s representatives can identify that the child is traveling alone.
- A flight attendant from Alaska Airlines will help the minor with early boarding. But will also explain to him/her about the several facilities and amenities he/she can request while flying.
Alaska Airlines Policy Changes Due To COVID 19
1. Alaska Airlines provides a limited food and beverage service on its flights.
2. An unaccompanied minor can pack a water bottle, That can be filled right after going through security.
3. A minor can carry a sufficient amount of snacks and meals for a longer duration flight.
4. The minors with mileage account plans can pre-order the food for their flights.
How To Book A Flight For An Unaccompanied Minor With Alaska Airlines?
Time needed: 15 minutes.
The only thing that you need to take care of is you must keep the adult passenger field at “0”.
- Visit Alaska Airlines Official Website
The reservation process for a minor is the same as making a reservation for an adult. It’s just you have to keep the adult field at “0”
- Enter The Number Of Children
Select the number of children but make sure to not exceed the number of more than 2.
- Make Sure To Select Non-Stop/Direct Flights Only
An unaccompanied minor of age less than 8 years can not travel on a connecting flight. So, you have to select a direct or non-stop flight only.
- Complete The Reservation Process
As soon as you are done with the payments, Make sure to fill out the Guardian contact form. That provides accurate details about the point of contact.
A Few Things To Remember
- An unaccompanied minor of age 8 years or more can only travel on a connecting flight.
- The connecting flight must not be exceeding the layover time by 2 hours.
- A connecting flight for an unaccompanied minor with Alaska Airlines can not be booked through alaskaiar.com.
- To book a connecting flight for the minor, Please call Alaska airlines reservations at 1-800-252-7522.
- However, to jump the queue, You can call Alaska Airlines’ reservations direct line at (404) 865-1617.
- A different seat(s) can be allotted to the minor at the airport.
Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy For International Flights
- If a minor is traveling with any adult, Then the documentation and the Visa process will remain the same as of an adult.
- If a child is traveling alone, Then a parent or the guardian must complete all the forms and documentation at the check-in.
- Unaccompanied minors of less than 18 years of age must carry a letter of consent. That must be signed by the non-traveling guardian/parent.
Alaska Airlines Minor ID and Docs Requirement
- A letter of consent is mandatory for an unaccompanied minor under 18 years of age.
- The letter must be signed by a non-traveling parent or guardian.
- An unaccompanied minor must carry the letter of consent. If the minor is a permanent or temporary citizen of Mexico.
- 3 Copies of the letter of consent of SAM (Salida Autorizada de Menores) document.
- 1 original with 2 copies of the minor’s birth certificate is mandatory.
What Must Be There On A Letter Of Consent For An Unaccompanied Minor?
- A letter of consent must be signed by both parents.
- In case only the parent signed it, Then the proof of the child’s custody must be there.
- The consent letter must be notarized in Mexico or as per the respective country’s law.
- The letter of consent must be in Spanish or The Spanish translation must be there on the paper.
- Gender, Name, Date, and country of birth must be filled in on the consent form.
- Passport Information like passport number, location, and date of issuance must be there on the consent form.
- The name of the actual or custodial parents or the guardians must be there on the minor consent form.
- Travel origin and destination with the approx date of travel must be present on the consent form.
You can download Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Consent Form From Below
Mexico Letter Of Consent FAQs
What is a legal certification and from where to get it?
For a document to become legal, It is mandatory that it should be notarized by the govt. of Mexico. A parent/guardian can use the notarized stamp of their respective countries/states as well.
What if the letter of consent is not present at the time of travel?
Well, this letter of consent is mandatory for anyone traveling from Mexico. In case, if the same is not present with an unaccompanied minor. You will have to reschedule your travel plans because of the non-approval from Mexican Embassy.
What if the letter of consent is lost or misplaced?
In this case, the parent of the unaccompanied minor must fill out a new form and send it to the Mexican Embassy. Just to approve your minor’s travel. However, The Mexican embassy will consider only an original copy of the consent letter.
Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Check-in Policy
Rather than putting a strict check-in policy for unaccompanied minors and their parents. Alaska Airlines kept it simple and straight. As per the minor policy, It is advisable for both the parents and the minor to reach the airport check-in counter 90 minutes prior to the flight departure.
All the documentation including the unaccompanied minor form, fees, and other mandatory documentation must be there prior reaching to the airport.
We strongly advise you to clearly fill all your docs online and pay the minor fees online, or over the call to Alaska Airlines.
Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Checklist
A checklist has been curated to help the parents/guardian of the child to ease the process of reservations and documentation. The checklist consists of what should be there on the consent form and how to complete the documentation.
Not only this but also the time frame by which everything should be in place to ease the journey of the minor. You can find and download the checklist below.